I just finished Saving Angel yesterday, by Jennifer L. Weil and I couldn’t help but see the very strong (maybe even plagiarized) resemblance with Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Seriously, even the authors have similar names, WTF??)
*there are going to be a LOT of spoilers next, because I’m going to be underlining the similarities between the stories*
1. Both girls move from a bigger city to the middle of nowhere, where they fall for their next door neighbor which is smoking hot
2. Daemon’s family (Lux) is comprised of a sister (Dee) and a brother (Dawson) and they live with their sort-of dad; Chase (Divisa) lives with his cousins (which are also a guy, Travis, and a girl, Lexi) and their dad -> surprise, surprise, all the teenagers have powers and the same background… sort-of.
3. They also have friends the same as them in school:
– in Lux they have another family of Luxen, 2 guys (one hot-head and a calmer one) and a girl (which wants Daemon all for herself) and in Divisa the other 3 aren’t actually a family but are also 2 guys (1 hot-head and 1 calm) and a girl, which is hanging on to Chase for dear life.
4. the whole town suspects and/or are afraid of them, in both cases
5. they have powers, you know, the usual: speed, strength, telekinesis, what differs is in Lux they have the power to stop time and in Divisa they see Death (big whoop!)
6. the families are hunted: in Lux by Arum and the DOD, in Divisa by lower demons and hellhounds
7. the main character experiences a love-hate relationship with the drool-worthy macho in the series, and they finally end up sort-of together
8. near the end, Katy (Lux) is near death and Daemon saves her, by healing her; Angel dies and Chase bargains for her life with Death, bringing her back
9. each one of the girls gets a part of the male superhero’s ability embeded in their DNA – Katy becomes part Lux and Angel gets the ‘tattoo’ of the Divisa.
10. even the sequels are hinting at likeliness: for Divisa the next one is called Hunting Angel, which will probably be about how Angel will be hunted by the forces of Hell [oh, DUH!] and, in Onyx, Katy is hunted by the DOD and a dubious guy [I’m not giving you the full scoop, you’ll just have to read it =P], plus there is a prequel to both series, about the brother’s (in Lux) or the cousin’s (in Divisa) past relationship, and how their girlfriend disappears.
Well this is just peachy! And I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface about how much Divisa is copying Lux! [Because Lux came first, so it can’t be the other way around ;)]
Honestly, I loved both stories, but since I had already read Lux a year or so ago, it was hard to keep my attention on the action in Divisa without noticing every second that things were going in the same direction.
It was like Lux was stripped down to its skeleton, given different character names and abilities, and POOF, Divisa!
If you’re plagiarizing a story, at least don’t be too conspicuous about it! Take SOME good ideas out of it, not the WHOLE freakin’ novel!!!!